Making IMS more than just an Incident Manager

Queries related to T-Plan Administrator
RGibson
User
User

Making IMS more than just an Incident Manager

Post by RGibson » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:18 pm

Hi,

With most Projects there are usually (at least) 3 different types of logging/tracking lists that are maintained, for example:
Bug tracking, Risk Register Items, Action items from meetings/project planning exercises.

I'm currently looking at modelling IMS to replace our current bug tracking system, and wondered about the following customisation:

Currently in IMS there is only one 'entity' - the Incident entity. Consequently I was looking to add classifications for 'Action Items', 'Risk Logs' etc. which of course can already be cofigured.

However, it is not possible to set up separate workflow life-cycles for each different classification type (though you can try via a concatenation of the classification and the status: Action Item-New, Action Item-Assigned, Defect-New, Defect-Assigned) but this gets vey messy(!)

It would also be good to be able to associate specific non-static incident attributes back to specific Classification Codes and also have different Priority definitions for different classifications. This flexibility would effectively turn IMS into an Entire Project Issue Management System, not just a defect tracking solution. (PIMS!) ;-)

With the Historying of issues progression, this would be a very useful addition to any project and would clearly help to ensure that issues are not lost and administrative burden is kept low.

The existing Views functionality could be used to ensure that only relevant individuals can see the different types of issue outstanding on the project etc. etc....

At the moment I think it can partially be done - but only by having three separate instances of IMS, one for traditional 'bugs', one for Action Items and one for Risk Issues - this would make it difficult to get the overall position of a project, and it would also make it impossible to convert an Action Item (say) into a Risk Issue as neither database would have the same underlying configuration....

Any thoughts/further explanation required???