Justin
User
User
First Name: Justin
Last Name: Sketchley
Company: Gemini

Report Providers

Post by Justin » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:25 pm

When running test scripts under the Enterprise Report Provider, the tests run exponentially slower than under the default report provider to the point where the tests sometimes start failing. I have tried disabling all the available options for report updates and increasing the minimum time between report updates. In all cases the Enterprise report provider causes tests to run much slower than the default report provider.

Is there a way to fix this? What can I do to speed up tests under the Enterprise Report Provider?

This happens on both T-Plan Robot versions 2.3.3 and 2.3.4Beta on OS Mac 10.6.8 and Redhat Linux.

rpes
User
User
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Pes
Company: T-Plan

Re: Report Providers

Post by rpes » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:40 am

Once started the report generator refreshes on every Screenshot, Step or a Warning command call. This involves processing of the internal records, constructing of the output XML and writing it to the specified file. When there are too many report objects it may slow down the script in a significant way.

To fix this simply move the Report command call to the end of your test script. It won't have any effect on the report content because it will pick up all previously created objects. The only disadvantage of this approach is that you won't be able to view the report during the script run.

A favorite trick to ensure that the Report command gets called at all times at the script end is to create an exit procedure and call it throughout the script instead of the Exit command:

// Create report and exit with the specified exit code.
// Parameters: {1} ... exit code (integer)
procedure finish {
  • Report results.xml desc="My report"
    Exit {1}
}

// Instead of "Exit 1" call:
finish 1