Problems with importing via Excel

Share any Issues you may have had and any solutions you found.
Post Reply
Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Problems with importing via Excel

Post by Dave » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:46 pm

Hi Shutey,

I have tried this here with your sample spreadsheet and am able to import it into Design fine.
I think therefore it is probably down to the mappings you are setting during the import. For example here is what I did:
From Deisgn, right click a Specification folder and Import
Import from Excel
Select your sample spreadsheet
In the Document Browser mapping window I set the following
Col2 = script.scriptinstruction.name
Col3 = script.scriptinstruction.instruction
Col4 = script.scriptinstruction.expectedResult
Select Import

This gave me a result of three scripts all with the correct Steps as per the spreadsheet. (See image)

I am guessing that you are attempting to do something different with the first two rows of each script, before then using those same columns for the Step information?

To help you further I really need to know what mappings you were setting during the import.

As I indicated above it helps a lot if different information is seperated out into different columns. i.e. if you want a Script Description, or the Pre-reqs to go anywhere other than the Steps, these should be contained in a seperate column to the Step Instructions and Expected Results. If this is not the case it can still be acheived although will require more manual effort during each import.

I hope this helps. Let me know.

David.
Attachments
ExcelImport.png
Result of Import

Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Problems with importing via Excel

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:20 am

Hi Chris,

Yes, Scripts 002 and 003 are all present and correct, see image below.

As the "Text" column has a default mapping to Specification and Col1 maps to Script.name by default I don't touch these. I jump straight to Col2 onwards. I also don't touch any of the other settings or options.

I have attached the simple mapping file that I used, although as you say I have had to rename the extension to .txt to allow uploading. If you wish to try this please rename the file extension back to .tpmap.

The file format shouldn't be an issue. Obviously the structure of the worksheet imports ok as I have done so here and the Office extrension works with both .xls and .xlsx file formats which I think rules that out of being the cause of any issue.

Let me know how it goes.

David.
Attachments
ACT_ImportMapping.txt
Mapping File used for Import (to use please rename to .tpmap)
(720 Bytes) Downloaded 879 times
ExcelImport2.png

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest