Page Break

Your requests for future T-Plan functionality
AWinter
User
User

Page Break

Post by AWinter » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:46 am

I wish I could dictate exactly where a page break will come in my design.

SClaydon

Hi Alan

Post by SClaydon » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:15 am

Hi Alan

Many thanks for raising this, we really appreciate your involvement.

Could you just confirm your specific requirement? I'm assuming this request relates to reporting on the Script Instructions Window? Apologies if thats incorrect!

Look forward to hearing from you and thanks again for raising this.

AWinter
User
User

Post by AWinter » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:36 am

that's right

SClaydon

Raised with a reference of CR-620

Post by SClaydon » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:50 am

Hi Alan

So as I understand it, your requirement is that:

Having entered a certain amount of text into e.g. the Instructions/Expected Results/Notes columns of the Script Instructions Window of a Script in Design, you would be able to insert (or have indicated to you, like in Microsoft Excel) a page break. This would then mean that when you run a report e.g. the Testing Instuctions Detail report in Design, it would be divided over the pages you specified. This would indeed be a useful feature.

The difficult part for the T-Plan application is that the report is based on the T-Plan hierarchy. Therefore, the application, while recognising the inserted page breaks would also have to take into account that there may be several preceeding Specifications and Scripts in the hierarchy that need displaying on the report. In short it would need to calculate the space on the report already taken up by these Specifications and Scripts (including any Attributes, Notes or associated Data) and then factor this in when dealing with the inserted Page Breaks.

This would require a fair degree of sophistication in the reporting functionality, a level at which in its current form it does not support.

I have raised this with a reference of CR-620 on our internal Change Request system. The development team will now consider it for inclusion in a future release, bearing in mind that it is a feature specifically requested by a customer. If other customers also request this functionality their names would be added to the Issue indicating its popularity.

I hope this helps.

AWinter
User
User

Post by AWinter » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:18 am

I do see the difficulty. :(

How about a page break just on a per script basis? :?

I suppose what really annoys me is that sometimes a script field instruction overflows onto the next page, and then the box lines that are supposed to be printed between that field and the next field, just do not appear. :cry:

I'm not sophisticated enough to know whether that is a local problem or a generic problem.

SClaydon

Post by SClaydon » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:34 am

Thanks for the feedback Alan.

I'll add your comments to CR-620- it will all help the development team when they begin spec'ing out new functionality.

I appreciate your annoyance at the missing lines between fields. I was unaware that this was being encountered. As to whether it is a local or generic problem I will need to update my sophistication levels to find out :D . I will investigate that and get back to you shortly.

Thanks

SClaydon

Post by SClaydon » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:43 pm

Hi Alan

I've been investigating this one and have so far been unable to recreate the missing text box lines on reports. The lines appear in all the reports I generate.

I have been mainly concentrating on the Test Plan Detail report. Do you have a specific example of a report where you encounter this or does it seem to be a general problem?

If anyone else encounters the same error as Alan feel free to add to this post- it would be good to get a broad picture of the numbers of Users who have come across this and with which reports.

Thanks for the continued feedback.