Importing/Exporting into Analysis/Design modules

Queries related to T-Plan Professional
danielbilling

Importing/Exporting into Analysis/Design modules

Post by danielbilling » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:55 pm

Hi,

I am new to T-Plan, and this is my first post, so please excuse my ignorance.

I read in the help files that it is possible to import/export test requirements and scripts into T-Plan. I have a couple of questions regarding this.

1. When exporting a test plan, it only currently shows the option "Export to XML", and no other options to export to Excel or Word. I tried renaming the created .xml file to .xls, but it did not produce the output I expected.

2. Is there a recommended template for importing analysis and design elements into T-Plan. Do you have an example .xls or .doc available that could be used as a starting point for creating our own import files?

This would make life easier for non QA folk when creating scripts/reqs etc, and make the time to execution much shorter.

I am using T-Plan Pro 06.00.2451

Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks,
Dan :D

SteveJenkin

Post by SteveJenkin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:53 pm

Hi Dan,

In reference to question 1, could you please tell me where in T-Plan you are exporting from?

If you are exporting from a single Test Condition or Script then you will only be able to export to .XML, however if you export from a Function or Specification folder at any level you have the option to export to Word or Excel.

If you are exporting from Manage you will only have the option to export to .xml, this is because Manage is simple a linked copy of Design. We allow you to export to .xml if you wish to export and then import into another database.

In answer to question 2 there is no set templates for importing analysis and design elements because it is likely to be different for everyone. When you use the Office Extension you build your own custom template using mappings and therefore customise it to your document and where it will import fields/text/columns into T-Plan.

Once you have created your mappings you can then save the template and use it again for other documents if they have the same layout.

I have attached some example .xls and .doc files to help you with the import/export.

There is also extensive help documentation about the Office Extension which should be of use to you.

It can be accessed by navigating to Start -> Programs -> T-Plan -> Help -> T-Plan Help.

Select T-Plan Professional from the hierarchy on the left and then User Guide, Running T-Plan Professional and then Office Integration.

Kind regards,
Attachments
OfficeExtn.zip
(3.01 MiB) Downloaded 776 times

danielbilling

Post by danielbilling » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:09 pm

Thanks Steve,

I now understand how the level you select determines what can be exported. I did note however when exporting to Excel, that the data held within the 'Name' column in Script Instructions was not included in the output. The 'Name' data was included on an export to Word.

Also, on your second point, I shall experiment with some field mapping as you suggest. I'm afraid I couldn't see the attachments though. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Dan

Dont worry, I can now see them...now that I have relogged into the forum.

Dan

SteveJenkin

Post by SteveJenkin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:01 pm

Hi Daniel,

Many thanks for bringing this to my attention, I have raised it as a bug and have requested it to be reviewed for the next release of T-Plan.

PRB-2532

Kind regards,

SteveJenkin

Post by SteveJenkin » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:48 pm

Hi,

I have spoken to the development team and it appears that this is a bug however there is a workaround and hopefully we will be able to create a new import template to fix the issue.

You need to add a row that contains nothing but a single space character in the right most column - in this case column D.

I have attached your ammended document to help you.

I apologies for any inconveniance this has caused.

If you require any further information please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,
Attachments
AnalyzeExcelExport1.zip
Ammended Analyze Excel document.
(1.23 KiB) Downloaded 729 times