Sharing a database on a network drive

Queries related to T-Plan Professional
SClaydon

Post by SClaydon » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:10 pm

Hi Michael

Would you mind re-attaching the Configuration file- it doesn't appear to have uploaded?

Many thanks

SClaydon

Post by SClaydon » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:13 am

Hi Michael

Many thanks for the Admin.XML file. I can't see anything obvious in it that would be causing the error you encounter. I am currently recreating your setup on our test bed to see what I can find.

I will be in touch shortly.

Kind regards

SClaydon

Post by SClaydon » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:21 am

Hi Michael

Could you confirm the point at which your users encounter the error message? e.g. User A navigates to:

Start/Program Files/T-Plan/T-Plan Professional
Enters their Username and Password
Are they then able to select the Project Database/Group from the dropdown?
If so do they then encounter the error when they click OK to logon?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

SClaydon

Post by SClaydon » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:03 am

Hi Michael

Many thanks for the update.

I will put a little doc together and send it over.

Will be in touch shortly.

Kind regards

SClaydon

Post by SClaydon » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:32 pm

Hi Michael

Apologies for the delay in replying to you- it feels like I have been fighting technology all day!

General Tips
Obtain a Network Share
It is recommended that you obtain a network share in which to locate a configuration file. This file is created when you create an administration database. Each T-Plan user will need access to this file in order to be able to connect to the administration database. Locating the file in a network share is convenient because it is centrally managed. Alternatively, if a share is not available, you can distribute the file to your T-Plan users to be saved on their drives and accessed locally.

Checklist for Microsoft Access Users
Although not recommended, it is possible to use a Microsoft Access database in a shared user environment provided that it is located on a network share having write access to all T-Plan users. For environments with multi-user access or large volumes of data processing it is recommended to upgrade Microsoft Access databases to either Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle.

Steps to Follow
As you are using the already created Sample Administration Database and the associated Admin.XML file, the method used to enable Users to both of these items across the network is a bit messy :D

Normally you would be creating everything from scratch and the setup would take care of the fiddly bits we need to amend in this instance! Still, this should be enough to get you up and running...

On your T-Plan Server
  • Create a Network Share or identify an existing one (Ensure all T-Plan Users have WRITE access to this location).
    Copy the Admin.XML file and the Sample Administration Database
    Edit the Admin.XML file to reflect the Sample Administration Database’s new location in the Network Share
    Bring up the T-Plan Administration logon screen and entered the Administration Username and Password.
    Clicked on the MORE OPTIONS button.
    Selected LOCATE ANOTHER CONFIGURATION FILE.
    Browsed to the Network Share location where the Admin.XML file is located.
    Logged into T-Plan Administrator.
    Created a new T-Plan Professional Database in the Network Share location.
    Created a new T-Plan User e.g. User1 and enabled this User for T-Plan Professional.
    Created a new T-Plan Group with Read and Write permission and granted access to the new Database. Add the new User e.g. User1 to this Group.
On a T-Plan Client PC
  • Bring up the T-Plan Professional Logon Screen.
    Enter the new User details for e.g. User1.
    Select MORE OPTIONS.
    Select LOCATE ANOTHER ADMINISTRATION DATABASE.
    Browse to the Network Share.
    Select the new Database and the new Group in the dropdown and log on.
Please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards

SteveJenkin

Post by SteveJenkin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:00 am

Hi Michael,

Could you please do a test for me?

Have one of your users open up Notepad and save a file to the shared directory; open it, modify, save and then Delete.

If one of those actions can't be performed, then we know what access rights the user really has.

Could you please tell me what version of Office you are using??

Kind regards,

SteveJenkin

Post by SteveJenkin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:32 pm

Hi Michael,

It sounds as though you have resolved the permissions issue on the server as you have managed to grant Anthony access.

My next solution would be to check the MaxLocksPerFile registry key on the server, if this is set to 1 then obviously only one user would be able to access the database at any given time.

This can be a problem if you are using a Novell server.

Change MaxLocksPerFile in the Windows Registry

1. From the Windows Start menu, click Run, type Regedt32.exe, and then click OK to start Registry Editor.

2. Locate the MaxLocksPerFile value under the following key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Jet 4.0

NOTE: If the MaxLocksPerFile value does not exist, you must create it.

3. Decrease the MaxLocksPerFile value.

4. Quit Registry Editor.

For the full Microsoft explanation please use the hperlink below

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305995

Kind regards

SteveJenkin

Post by SteveJenkin » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:56 am

Hi Michael,

I believe nearly all of our customer run T-Plan on Windows machines and is a setup I would strongly recommend.

This way you will be able to run SQL Server and have a network share on one Windows machine.

It is possible to use a Unix machine but you will require a Windows Security layer on the box and run an Oracle database instead of SQL, it will also be fairly high maintenance.

Kind regards,

SteveJenkin

Post by SteveJenkin » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:07 pm

Hi Michael,

Could you please tell me at what stage during the login process do your users receive this error?

Is it when selecting the project database, the group or after selecting the 'Ok' button?

This error does appear to be SQL related rather than T-Plan.

Kind regards.

SteveJenkin

Post by SteveJenkin » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:31 pm

Hi Michael,

The "[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied." message means that either the user has not got permission to access the server or that their machine does not believe that the server exists.

What I would suggest would be to install SQL Tools on one of the other users machines to see if they can access the SQL database.

Once we know if the user can access the server we will be able to proceed from there.

One other question, what security are you using to login the the SQL database, Windows Authentication or SQL Authentication?

Have you got one username and password or do all the seperate users have login credentials.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards.